Saturday, November 19, 2011

Wine country better with strawberries


We started off the day drinking right after breakfast. Strange, but that was the only way our schedule worked. We visited several vineyards in the region and sampled their wines.

We decided not to do a tour but instead go around ourselves which was fine. For me personally, not being a big wine fan, not really liking the taste and on top of that wine being an expensive hobby, doesn't really make sense for me.

I decided not too long ago that I really shouldn't try to force myself to enjoy alcohol since I don't really like it for any particular reason. The only type I can really say I do like are late harvest wines.

We ended up going around to four vineyards before we carried on. The experience for us was essentially the same as our tour in the Okanangan. The wines to be honest didn't taste different: "dry," as they would say.

A nice stop was the hydroponic strawberry farm near Blenheim where we picked a basket and had some very tasty yogurt.




It was a windy drive through the Golden Bay towns to Motueka where we stopped for dinner at Gothic, an old church converted to restaurant. At Kaiteriteri, when we were "this" close to staying at the resort and spa for $140 a night, we found a private basement suite for $80 that more than met our needs.

A review of our budget revealed that we had just broken the $20k mark on our vacation budget with the New Zealand excursions costing more than we expected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment