Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Airport to the Hotel and Beyond


Off the plane - not what I was expecting: a nice shiny airport with Johnny Rocket, Bubba Gump, Starbucks. I guess I was thinking more austere, something like Cuba, but this place is probably pretty full service.

We were initially disoriented wandering around the airport until we finally found the exit pretty much right where Westjet dropped us off. I think because we were thinking "all-inclusive" that we didn't have to plan anything. Well, comparatively, that's true, but we did scramble to find the right airport transfer. I made an error already when the driver asked me if I wanted to pay $80 USD, or 800 pesos. I checked the exchange rate later and it was at 1:12.

A couple of American guys, one auto worker and another VLT distributor from Detroit gave us some tips for a good vacation in Mexico: 1. suck on some limes before eating the food to avoid the runs and 2. make sure you use lots of sunscreen to prevent sun sickness. They were staying at Barcelo Beach, the "shanty" resort. Turns out we were at the Palace, the snobby upper class part of the resort.

Made it just in time to randomly run into Dan at the lobby, and have half an hour to clean up for the wedding. Then we got all sweaty again sitting out in the sun during the wedding. Luckily, we didn't have to wear full on suit and ties like the groomsmen! The wedding was great, the highlight being the vows, I think.

Kyle gave us a brief tour of the hotel. Like Cuba, I found again this hotel to look really huge at first, but then become manageable after a brief orientation. The place was beautiful, and we yearned to take a dip in the pool but dinner was right away so we just lounged by the pool. Of course, we see Dan and Janet swim by.



After the reception on the beach, we made a brief stop at Bryan's room for a drink. Ironically, he's the most responsible one of us having to look after Celeste. After we hung out by the pool reminiscing about high school and other such issues such as politics, the USA, poverty and what's going to happen next for all of us. It was a great time to catch up with everyone and really surprising how close we still related with each other despite time apart. It was great that all of us high school guys were there.

Dan and Janet made a valiant effort, but Kyle and I ended up out until 7 in the morning when he had to leave back to Wichita. I kind of felt badly not having had more time to catch up at our wedding, but grateful that Kyle and I overlapped at least a day in Mexico this time. I was impressed that I wasn't totally dead from the lack of sleep but I guess those are the aptitudes one acquires in medical residency.

No comments:

Post a Comment